CCI Regulations amended: Advocates can accompany parties summoned
CCI has amended Competition Commission of India (General) Amendment Regulations 2018, introducing Section 46A, allowing advocates to accompany parties summoned during an investigation by DG.
However, there are some conditions:
- Submission of a written request accompanied by Vakalatnama or Power of Attorney to DG prior to commencement of proceedings.
- Not sitting in front of summoned person.
- No interaction/consultation/communication with the person during his examination on oath.
- No misconduct on the part of advocate.
- Power of DG to make a complaint to CCI against such misconduct.
- Power of CCI, if satisfied on such complaint to debar advocates from appearing in proceedings.
- CCI may direct Secretary to forward the complaint to State Bar Council of which advocate is a member.
For more: https://www.cci.gov.in/sites/default/files/regulation_pdf/193680.pdf